Monday, July 28, 2008

Why I wear a kilt

One of the questions tossing around in my mind for awhile is "Why do I wear a kilt?".

For those of you who don't know me, I own and proudly wear two Utilikilts (tm): a black Classic Utilikilt and a Jean Cut Utilikilt. I also have a custom made leather belt and a black leather sporran which looks absolutely great with the Jean Cut Utilikilt.

So why do I wear them?

I cannot choose one singular reason why. I wear them because I can. I wear them because it makes me stand out. I wear them because they are comfortable.

1. I wear my kilt because I can.

This is pretty much the non-reason reason. In many ways, it is the reason we all use to justify our hobbies and interests. It is a driving force which can inspire both fear and confidence. It is the bold statement which weeds out the strong from the weak. I wear my kilts because I *can* wear them. I'm not afraid to wear my kilts, and I don't give a damn about what you think.

2. I wear them because it makes me stand out.

I never intended to spend my life being the odd person. I never wanted to be the person who never quite fit in. I definitely never wanted to be the person who was bullied and constantly criticized over every damn thing. Fate had something else in mind, though. Between being intelligent and diabetic, I was always different in grade school. Making matters worse, I was the non-athletic geeky kid who was always picked last.

Spending so much time putting up with being the outcast causes subtle changes. I am a lot more understanding and sensitive to others, however, I'm also more of a realist (some would call me a pessimist) and I have a different edge. I can exist in the mainstream, but I choose to be my own person. My sense of individuality runs very deep inside of me.

So, when it comes to my clothes, I have decided to have a few items which are different from everyone else. Somethings which reinforce my individuality. I'm a casual non-conformist.

3. I wear them because they are comfortable.

Most simply put... If you have never worn a kilt, you wouldn't understand.

There is an unique feeling of freedom which is virtually impossible to describe. Movement is so much easier. You can feel the local environment.

Nothing can match the feeling of being able to feel the cool air rushing by as the rain gently falls on you while you run outside to your car. Nothing can ever match the feeling of standing on the upper observation deck of a ship, looking at a glacier directly ahead of your position, as you hear the glacier calve and feel the wind blow.

4. I wear them because they reinforce my image of toughness.

This reason is strictly self image and ego. In real life, I am a stout computer geek. In real life with kilt, I'm a tough stout computer geek. Ok, so the image doesn't quite work out. You may have to use a bit of imagination here...

In any case, I feel like a tough guy when I wear my kilt. Therefore, I am a tough guy while I wear my kilt. Self image is everything. Your inner self image directly influences your outward image.

No comments: