Monday, July 14, 2008

Music Playlist

Today I was looking through the play list in Rhythmbox on my main machine. I never really gave thought into what music I listened to until this moment. My current play list has the following:
  • Apocalyptica (Chello Rock)
    • Bittersweet
    • Apocalyptica (album)
    • Cult (album)
    • Inquisition Symphony (album)
    • Reflections (album)
  • Bloodhound Gang (Rap / Alternative)
    • Hefty Fine (album)
  • Blue Man Group ("Other")
    • The Complex (album)
  • Corvus Corax (Folk / Medieval-like Music)
    • Kaltenberg Anno MMVII (album)
    • Venus Vina Musica (album)
  • Cranberries (Alternative)
    • Zombie
  • Depeche Mode (Alternative)
    • Precious
    • Stripped
    • Personal Jesus
  • Eagles (Rock)
    • Journey of the Sorcerer
  • Filter (Rock)
    • Hey Man Nice Shot
  • Gary Jules (Rock)
    • Mad World
  • Hoobastank (Rock)
    • Running Away
  • Korn (Hard Rock)
    • Another Brick in the Wall (Parts 1,2,3, Goodbye)
  • Linkin Park (Rock)
    • Numb
    • Breaking the Habit
    • Minutes to Midnight (album)
  • Metallica (Hard Rock)
    • -Human
    • Ecstasy of Gold
  • Moby (Freestyle)
    • Porcelain
  • Muse (Rock)
    • Knights of Cydonia
  • Neil Young (Rock)
    • Sun Green
    • Be the Rain
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers (Rock)
    • By the Way
    • Dani California
    • Snow (Hey Oh)
  • Serj Tankian (Rock)
    • Elect the Dead (album)
  • Tanwut (Bagpipe Rock, also a subgroup of Corvus Corax)
    • Ihr Wolltet Spass (album)
    • Labyrinth Der Sienne (album)
    • Schattenreiter (album)
    • Tanzwut (album)
  • U2 (Rock)
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
  • Weezer (Alternative)
    • The Red Album (album)
And that list is only a small list of what I have in my music library. I don't have Enya, Johnny Cash, Black Sabbath... all of the other good artists I listen to loaded up at this time.

I feel like there is a pretty big mix here... from geeky (Pork and Beans, the theme from Hitchhikers Guide...) to angry (Nein Nein). From conventional to cello rock to German bagpipe rock.

It is a pretty big change from my listening habits as a young child. I remember taking road trips up to Burlington, WI with my parents listening to classic rock (former Oldies 104.3 fm), but having my radio alarm clock tuned into classical music. In second grade I was a huge New Kids on the Block fan, but in fifth grade, I based my music preferences on Beavis and Butthead.

I remember taking piano lessons in grade school. I remember being somewhat good at it. I also remember playing Christmas carols at a small Christmas party my family held for my grandmother while she was in hospice care in the mid 90's. Actually, now that I think of it, that was the last time I seriously played piano.

Anyways, I feel that I'm starting to rant here... However, I do feel that the music we choose defines more than a simple play list. It defines what is going on at that moment in our lives. It becomes a sound track for the real life. I just wonder what my chosen soundtrack for this moment says about me.

No comments: